Saturday 9 April 2016

Grammar practice: Conditional sentences



To help you practice using conditional sentences, here are some exercises:

We studied conditional sentences last week:

  • If you had a million dollars, what would you do?  
    • (2nd conditional. Not real, just in your head)
  • What will you do if it rains? 
    • (1st conditional. More real, it can / will happen)
  • If water gets to 100 degrees C, it boils 
    • (Zero conditional. Facts about science)
1:


Put the verbs in the spaces. Are they zero, first or second conditionals?
Example:
If I didn't eat any food for a month, I would be very hungry. 2nd
1. If I __________ (get) home too late tonight, I __________ (not eat).
2. If they _________ (earn) enough money, they _________ (go) to France for their holiday this summer.
3. If John _________ (can run) 100 metres in 10 seconds, he ________ (be) an athlete.
4. If Simon ________ (catch) a fish today, we ________ (eat) it.
5. If you ________ (go) to the moon, you _______ (be) 400,000 km from the Earth.
6. She _________ (buy) a Porsche if she _________ (win) the lottery.
7. If you __________ (put) salt in hot water, it __________ (dissolve).
8. If it __________ (rain) in the Sahara desert, everyone ________ (be) very surprised.
9. If you _______ (jump) off a tall building without a parachute, it _________ (hurt).
10. If it ________ (rain) tonight, we _________ (can go) to the cinema.
11. She __________ (pass) her exam if she _________ (study) more!
12. If your dog _________ (speak), you __________ (can sell) it to the circus.
13. If you __________ (put) pizza in the oven for 3 hours, it ________ (burn).
14. If we _______ (play) football on Saturday afternoon, I ________ (be) tired on Sunday.
15. You __________ (become) fat if you ______ (eat) too much.
16. If a UFO ________ (land) in the city centre tomorrow, there ______ (be) a big panic.

Write your answers in the COMMENTS below

2:

Write sentences in the COMMENTS using these to help you:

If I were you, I would...
I will .................... when I am older.
I would go to....................... if I had my own plane. 
If I could speak English perfectly, I would...

3:

There are lots more conditional practice activities here:
http://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/first-conditional-exercise-1.html


3 comments:

  1. 2:

    If I were you, I would STUDY ENGLISH MORE AT HOME.
    I will live on the beach when I am older.
    I would go to Laos if I had my own plane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Tung!

      Do you have anything else to say??

      Delete